Monday, January 21, 2008

Obligations. Who Cares, Right? by Br. T. Justin Robinson

There are many things that I consider sacred in my life: my beliefs, my family, my word and my bond.

I was raised a Master Mason in 2005 and jumped right into the lodge. I have had many masonic experiences, both in lodge and on the internet; many good and some not so good. But when it comes down to it I have no regrets.

I have been asked countless times, What do I think needs to be done to improve the craft? What needs to be done to help retain membership? For a long time I have pondered questions such as these.

It wasn't until recently that the answer hit me like a bolt of lightning on a clear sky.

There is one thing at the heart of Masonry that is often overlooked or not taken seriously--our Obligations. It is this more than anything that I believe has led to the deradation of our fine craft. So many good and true Brothers have very deep discussions regarding regularity, PHA, Ancients and Moderns, etc...that they easly miss this simple truth. Many Brothers take their obligations with a grain of salt.

I have seen on several occasions a brother attacked, on no credible grounds, by both a non-mason as well as a brother. When I have seen this happen it has been rare to witness a fellow Mason come to the defense of said brother and much less vindicate him as we are obliged to do.

I have seen worthy, distressed brother Master masons seek assitance and find none. I have seen and heard secrets sworn before God let out on loose lips. I have seen brothers keep secrets from eachother regardless of their common bond of trust and many many more examples of disregard to our obligations.

These things are done, and then they ask, Whats wrong with our Fraternity? Why do brothers not take our Craft seriously? Why can't we retain our membership? The answer is before them, yet they seek it not; they wish others to seek it for them and then argue when it is presented.

When the day comes that our brothers truly feel connected, not only through beliefs and actions, but through our own obligations which are held sacred and invaluable; when the day comes that brothers unite in defense of one another, stand together through thick and thin; when the day comes that we are able to share secrets regardless of content without hesitation...that will be the day that this Fraternity regains its former grandeur.

Until that time, I will continue to do my part, Brothers...let us always meet on the level and part on the square!

No comments:

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner